Monday, April 20, 2009

Scribbles on a Notepad: I met Superman today… he was taller than I thought.


It’s funny really, in many of my writing assignments I’m asked to make sure my personal opinion doesn’t show up as a character. This isn’t an easy thing for me to do. So when Gary and Richard gave me my own space in the COMICNEWS team to write a column, I was elated! But, as I sat thinking about my first post (translation: watching Futurama with a writing pad in my lap) I realized that the best thing I could do was to lay it all out there. And, for comics fans, that almost always starts with Supes!

“He’s just a big Kansas-born hillbilly!” I stated down the phone through a mouthful of last night’s leftovers. The dull, static tone of my landline accentuated the silence that followed my nonchalant statement and if recovering from the initial shock, artist and friend Scorpio Steele took a deep breath and began. Now, I could relate his next words near verbatim, but instead I’ll dial down the thirty minute rebuttal into a monosyllabic phrase that even Oz from Buffy would be proud of.

“Are you nuts?”

Enjoying this? Then read the rest of it on my monthly column on comicnews.info at the link below:

http://comicnews.info/?p=5956

No comments: